Saturday, September 25, 2010

Cookbook Project: Mac and Cheese

Sorry I've been so absent!  A long weekend in Santa Barbara, work work work work work, and a whole WEEK of migraines, with a few more days to recover - not fun!  I'm finally feeling alive again, and we are finally having a gorgeous summer weekend here in San Francisco.

I've been working on a cookbook project.  I love to cook and I almost never follow recipes, but there are a few recipes I do use over and over.  However it seems like when I need one of them I can never find it in the mass of other recipes-to-try that I've collected, so I end up printing yet another copy.  I decided to do scrap pages of these recipes and laminate them so I could actually use them in the kitchen without worry.  CostCo recently had a great deal on a Purple Cow laminator so of course I snatched one up.  The pages are all 8"x8" and the recipes written the way I prefer (I have strong opinions on recipe writing and I do not like the standard format).  But never fear, I will be linking you to the original recipes so you don't have to deal with my shorthand.

Macaroni and Cheese.  Is there a more comforting dish?  I'm still a huge fan of the Kraft Original, but homemade is always better.  I've tried many different recipes, and I even have a mac-and-cheese cookbook, but the Three Cheese Pasta Gratin with Almond Crust from Bon Appetit is truly delicious.  Don't mess with the recipe, follow it exactly (something I have a hard time doing) - don't substitute cheeses or skimp on the crust ingredients.  You will be happy, trust me.


Isn't the background paper just the bomb?!  As you can see - I can't be bothered with detailed instructions:  make a sauce mornay, cook some pasta, make a crust and bake.  Easy! 

I borrowed the pyrex baker from Pyrex itself, printed on vellum.  The instruction tags are from a Numb Bumm kit.  Fork-knife-spoon stamped with Mustard Seed Distress Ink; American Crafts "Washer" stamp set with Memento Tuxedo Black.  (Still cant figure out why a kitchen-based stamp set is called "Washer.")  Font is called Lounge Bait, and the title has some Sakura glitter pen detailing.

Now go cook and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment