Monday, August 09, 2010

Happy birthday cake!

I love cake.  There's a lot of bad cake out there, but when it's good it's in the higher echelons of comfort food, as far as I'm concerned.  So the "Let Them Eat Cake" image from Tiffany Doodles really speaks to me.  Mostly it says "You are hungry! Eat cake!"  But I managed to contain myself for a little bit and use it for this birthday card for my friend Bonnie.



I wanted to emboss each of the layers, so instead of cutting out by hand (which I hate), I turned it into a cutting file for my Gazelle.  Tiffany's images are nice and clean so they convert easily.  Embossed and colored with Copics.  Background card is stamped front and back with a balloon image for a little more interest.

Embossing folders: Tim Holtz Regal Flourishes, Tim Holtz Swirls; Cuttlebug Spots and Dots
Candle flame:  Copics and Sakura glitter pen
Swirl:  From Dover's Decorative Wreaths and Frames
Border between cake layers:  Fruit Punch Stickles


The sentiment ("Life is better with Cake") was made in Photoshop Elements, using "I'm Bored" font, printed on vellum, and decorated with Sakura Glaze pens.  The same font was used for the Happy Birthday inside the card.  You can download all the word art here.

My favorite part is that the paper used for the cake has a pearlescent finish (I wish I knew exactly what it is but I got it in a 'grab bag' box from Arc Crafts).  This is a terrible picture, but the Copics allow the pearlescense to show through!



Made a quick envelope out of pink polka dot paper, and as a finishing touch, a seal from aluminum tape (yes, Home Depot has carding and scrapping supplies!) embossed with the same Regal Flourishes folder, and colored with Copics.  Isn't it cool?

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Kara, this card is delightfully wonderful. I love the different embossing layers. Great Idea!

Tiffany said...

Wow!! this is such a fun card! I just love the colors, I'm so inspired by what you've done with the embossing! Please add this to the Tiffany Doodles Flickr Gallery so everyone can see!! Thank you! I'd also like to use it as an example when I get my "real" store built!! (very soon!!)

Deirdre said...

So fun, love it. Didn't see this the first time around... TFS

Post a Comment