Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tropical card and a freebie background

Tiffany Doodles is having a challenge this month to make a card with a bird and a window; she's also sponsoring a challenge on Copic Creations - another bird card.  For some reason I just needed to color a flamingo!  Sadly, Tiffany doesn't have a flamingo, but I found this one on a coloring page site.  I did use Tiffany's Window stamp, and her latest freebie stamp, Palm Island (although you'll see that I altered it slightly as I wanted a noon-time image and not sunset or sunrise).



I haven't added a sentiment because I don't have a use for this card yet.  Possibly "I've just been standing here ... thinking of you" or "Tropical birthday wishes."  I could have saved it for an anniversary card for DH as we're planning on going to Hawaii, but since I showed him the card as soon as I finished it I don't think that will go over very well.

Everything is colored with Copics.
Flamingo:  RV25, RV29, E02, 110, and Signo Uni-ball pigment ink White pen for highlights
Window:  W1, W5, C1
Palm Island:  tree trunk E34, E37, E59; coconuts E53, E59; leaves G24, G29, YG23; island W1, E50, E53; ocean BG72, B21; sky BG01; sun Y08, Y11, Y15.

The background is something I created from a tropical leaf image, cut from green cardstock, and a few strokes of G02 and G24 to highlight the veining.  You can download the WPC leaf background cutting file here, or there is a PNG file here.  Personal use only.  Feel free to alter it to suit your needs - I'd love to see what you do with it!

Edited to add that I've just discovered the Oh Alice challenge blog, it's right up my alley! This week's challenge -birds, of course ("Why is a raven like a writing-desk?").

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Super fun! Makes me want to go to the beach. I love that flamingo! Thank you for playing with us at Tiffany Doodles!

Ruby said...

Really fun card! I've not played with the palm tree yet, it looks fab shown through the window! Thanks for playing along with us at Tiffany Doodles!

the whimsical butterfly said...

This is great and totally reminds me of the dodo in Alice! Thanks for playing along with our curious little challenge blog ;)

Erin said...

Fun card, thanks for joining us at Oh, Alice.

Lynne Phelps said...

Since flamingos were used as croquet mallets in Alice in Wonderland, this seems VERY appropriate! For the sentiment, mine would be "Wish I was THERE!" as it looks lovely! ;-) Thanks for playing along with Oh, Alice!

Lilian said...

Very creative and clever card! Gorgeous coloring of the flamingo too. Thanks for joining the Copic Creations challenge!

Post a Comment