Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pop-up house, and a freebie template

I've always loved pop-ups, and the Extreme Cards and Papercrafting blog has some wonderful ideas and templates.  This gingerbread house caught my eye and had been simmering at the back of my brain for a while.  Then a good friend recently built a new house, and the simmer became a boil!  The more I thought about it, I realized it was also an excellent excuse to buy the new Tim Holtz embossing folders in Bricked and Woodgrain.  Then it occurred to me that I could actually make TWO cards, because another friend, Shirley, had built her own craft house (she totally deserves it, and are you as jealous as I am?) and she really needed a card, too.

So these two lovelies were born.


The landscaping is all stamps, multiple colors of ink, and some Stickles here and there.



How cool are these embossing folders!!

For each house I cut out two templates.  One template was sliced into individual walls so I could emboss them, and smudge various inks into them.  Then glued each piece onto the base template and did the final construction.

The outside of each card stumped me for a while, but I finally decided that such complicated interiors might benefit from a very simple exterior.

Just some blueprint and floor layout images that I found online, printed onto photo paper, cut out (with my Gazelle, of course, since I don't like hand cutting), and outlined the shapes with a glossy pen.  Yes, that's a pic of one of the girlfriends looking thoughtful and imagining how she's going to decorate that new house!

You can get all the construction details from this fabulous tutorial and template on Extreme Cards and Papercrafting.  You can also download the free WPC file that I created from her template, and she has graciously allowed me to share with you.  This file is sized to just fit inside a 6"x6" card, but you do have to place it carefully.

I'd love to see more done with this pop-up.   It would be so cute as a little wedding chapel in a card for newlyweds, or of course in a christmas card as a gingerbread house.  What would you do with it?

1 comments:

cpeep said...

Fabulous! Thanks for making the WPC.

Carol

Post a Comment